Explore Sun Mark
Modern Slavery Statement
Introduction from the Managing Director
This statement is made pursuant to s.54 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and sets out the steps that Sun Mark Ltd has taken and is continuing to take to ensure that modern slavery or human trafficking is not taking place within our business or supply chain.
Modern slavery encompasses slavery, servitude, human trafficking and forced labour. Sun Mark Ltd has a zero tolerance approach to any form of modern slavery. We are committed to acting ethically and with integrity and transparency in all business dealings and to putting effective systems and controls in place to safeguard against any form of modern slavery taking place within the business or our supply chain.
Slavery and human trafficking remains a hidden blight on our global society. We all have a responsibly to be alert to the risks, however small, in our business and in the wider supply chain. Staff are expected to report concerns and management are expected to act upon them.
We are a provider of high quality goods without adding colossal costs in terms of advertising, marketing, administration and distribution that our competitors hold. We additionally hold our own in house shipping company, Sea Air and Land Forwarding Ltd. We export to over 100 countries and have been awarded by Her Majesty the Queen, five consecutive Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade. The group has an annual turnover in excess of £200m.
Our high risk areas
As part of our initiative to identify and mitigate risk we seek suitable assurances from suppliers that their businesses and supply chain are free from slavery and human trafficking. We ensure that we work with suppliers who treat their obligations towards modern slavery with the same importance that we do.
Due Diligence Processes for Slavery and Human Trafficking We are committed to ensuring that there is no modern slavery or human trafficking in any part of business or in our supply chains. We operate a number of internal policies to ensure that we are conducting business in an ethical, fair and transparent manner. These include:
1. Recruitment policy. We operate a robust recruitment policy, including conducting eligibility to work in the UK checks for all employees to safeguard against human trafficking or individuals being forced to work against their will.
2. Whistle-blowing policy. We operate a whistle-blowing policy so that all employees know that they can raise concerns about how colleagues are being treated, or practices within our business or supply chain, without fear of reprisals.
3. Where possible we build long standing relationships with local suppliers and tenancy customers and make clear our expectations of business behaviour;
4. With regards to national or international supply chains, our point of contact is preferably with a UK company or branch and we expect these entities to have suitable anti-slavery and human trafficking policies and processes.
5. The company directors ensure equality, fairness and egalitarianism in the workplace in keeping with the requirements of the legislation.
Supplier Adherence to our Values
Sun Mark Ltd operates a supplier policy and maintains a preferred supplier list. We conduct due diligence on all suppliers before allowing them to become a preferred supplier. This due diligence includes an online search to ensure that particular organisation has never been convicted of offenses relating to modern slavery. We expect all those in our supply chain and contractors comply with our values. The Directors and Senior Managers are responsible for compliance in their respective departments and for their supplier relationships.
To ensure a high level of understanding of the risks of modern slavery and human trafficking in our supply chains and our business, we provide training to relevant members of staff. All Directors have been briefed on the subject.
Our Effectiveness in Combating Slavery and Human Trafficking:
We use the following key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure how effective we have been to ensure that slavery and human trafficking is not taking place in any part of our business or supply chains:
• Ensure that labour sourcing, recruitment and placement processes are under the control of trusted staff members and are not open to corruption.
• Encourage workers to report cases of hidden third party labour exploitation and investigate and act on reports appropriately.
• No reports are received from employees, the public or law enforcement agencies to indicate that modern slavery practices have been identified.
• Use of labour monitoring and payroll systems.
• Use of time-sheets to ensure fair working hours which are reinforced with biometric fingerprint scanners to ensure legitimacy.
Approval for this statement:
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and constitutes our group’s slavery and human trafficking statement for our current financial year (01/09/2016)
Dr. Rami Ranger
Managing Director & Chairman
Sun Mark Limited
This statement constitutes our group’s slavery and human trafficking statement for the current financial year.